Year of Joy: John 15:10-11

If ye keep my commandments, ye shall abide in my love; even as I have kept my Father’s commandments, and abide in his love. These things have I spoken unto you, that my joy might remain in you, and that your joy might be full. –John 15:10-11

I admit it, I find it hard to be obedient to God at times, especially when it’s something I really had my heart set on. What I tend to forget is that when I go my own way, it often leads to trouble and heartache. One example is my first marriage. Marty and I met and married rather young; I was twenty-one and he was twenty-three. When we became engaged, I felt the Lord pointing me away from it. But I was in love and I thought I knew better; so I pushed those feelings to the back and tried my best to ignore them. Even when people from my church started pointing out things, I hid my head in the sand and wished them to go away. Instead of choosing obedience, I chose to go my own way. I chose to be unequally yoked.

Marty and I were married for twenty-four years and we had two beautiful sons together. But, our marriage was a struggle and shortly before his death, I was considering divorce–a very hard decision for me because I fully believe that marriage should be for a lifetime. I began to pray over the situation and the Lord made it clear that He wanted me to stay in the marriage. I struggled with that a lot. I wanted out. I was tired of being married to an alcoholic who drank our income. I was tired of living near poverty because of it.

This time, I chose to abide in God’s commandments and what he wanted me to do with my life. I stayed. Shortly after this, I had to rush Marty to the hospital. He was disoriented and weak. When we got to the hospital we discovered that he had less than a quarter of the blood he was suppose to have. He was near death then and if I had not been there, he most likely would have died that day. Marty was diagnosed with Leukemia and died three months after his diagnosis. I chose obedience and God gave me great joy. Not only did Marty stop drinking, but in the end he made peace with God. If I had left him when I started considering divorce, he most likely would have died that first day without having salvation. So, God can still use our bad decisions to bring Him Glory.

Since then, I have remarried. This time around, I did things God’s way and waited on His timing. In 2016, I met my husband John. We took things slow and built a foundation before we moved on to something serious. We prayed about our decisions and built a relationship based on God and friendship. Our joy in the Lord strengthened us and brought us to a much closer and complete relationship. My marriage to John has brought be so much joy and happiness. God took my life and turned it completely around–all because I chose to do His will instead of my own.

Father God,
Sometimes we go outside of Your Will for our lives and we chose disobedience over obedience. Yet, even when we do, You can always find a way to use it for Your glory. Father, help me to choose the right way, help me to do your will in all areas of my life. Even when I don’t want to or I want something different. Help me to remember that obedience to You is a source of joy and it brings me closer to You. Please forgive me for the times when I have gone my own way. Strengthen me, Father, to do your will and to someday see the full joy of being with You in heaven.
In Jesus’ Name, Amen.

Blessings!
Susan Lee Rose

Comments

Popular Posts