Dr. Pepper Ice Cream

It’s July here in Texas, which means it’s HOT. Not just a little hot, but so hot that you would think the Devil moved in for a spell. So, to cool things off, we eat a lot of ice cream. As true Texans, Blue Bell is always a favorite, but if I really want to make my family happy, I break out the ice cream maker and make homemade ice cream. Usually we just make Vanilla or Hot Chocolate ice cream, but when I really want to make something special for my family, I make either Dr. Pepper Ice Cream or Big Red Ice Cream. If you’ve ever lived in Texas, then you know that Dr. Pepper is a staple around here and Dr. Pepper Ice Cream is like having a Frosted Pep, only in Ice Cream form. Frosted Peps always put me in mind of my Nanny. She was a huge fan of Coca-Cola and she would always take us to Dairy Queen to get Frosted Cokes (they now call them Coke Freezes). I often would order a Frosted Pep, because I preferred Dr. Pepper over Coke. If you prefer Coke, you could easily substitute Coke for Dr. Pepper, or any other flavor Coke (that’s Texan for soda of all kind, y’all. If you ask someone to bring you a Coke, they will bring you whatever your favorite soda is…LOL!).

So, below is the recipe for Dr. Pepper Ice Cream, and to be honest, I can’t think of a more “Texas” ice cream than that!

Dr. Pepper Ice Cream

Ingredients:
1 can Eagle Brand milk
1 pint half & half
36 oz. Dr. Pepper
2 cup sugar
4 eggs
2 tsp. vanilla
1 tbsp. flour

Instructions:
  In a large bowl, whisk together all the ingredients. Pour into the canister of a gallon sized ice cream maker. Process according to your ice cream maker instructions. You can halve the recipe for a 2 quart ice cream maker.

Blessings!
Susan Lee Rose

Comments

Popular Posts